Here you will find the previous updates of this site since
it was first uploaded in February 19, 2009.
- My beloved wife Rosa Nely died Dec/08/2020 after battling with lung cancer for more than four years. She was an amazing woman full of love for life, and I'll miss her every day. Many people supported me in these last two months, and in return I've decided to release freely three of my games for Intellivision: Aardvark, Meteors, and IntyBASIC Showcase vol. 2. You can download the games from the thread "In memory of Rosa Nely" at Atariage.
- There are now seven entries in the IntyBASIC Programming Contest 2020! Little more than a month to go.
- You now can play Mecha-8 and Mecha-9 on your cellphone, just search for Argon (anticipated access) at the Google Playstore.
- I was a speaker at the Intellivision Virtual Expo, search for part 1. Good talks all around. Intellivision Virtual Expo recorded talks.
- I had to sell my Colecovision collection, I started with the rare games, and a few remain. My sale post at Atariage.
- My new Halloween game is Frankenstein's Monster for Intellivision. Download link at description. Soon to be available in enhanced cartridge form from 2600connection and CIB from Intellivision Revolution.
- The IntyBASIC 2020 Programming Contest is set to start from Sep/01/2020 to Jan/31/2021. It is the third edition of this successful contest, and has great prizes for the first three places sponsored by Intellivision Revolution, Elektronite, Côte Gamers, Collectorvision, and Mark/Space and Project Argon.
- The cross-compiler IntyBASIC has been updated to v1.4.2, running in Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux; keeping it cutting-edge as the most effective solution for creating games for Intellivision!
- My game Lunar Leeper for Colecovision went for sale at Collectorvision, and sold every single copy in a single day!
- My game Huachicol 3 has been updated to include libSDL and remove an awkward terminal window when running it in Mac OS X, also added icons both for Windows and Mac OS X. Slow 16 mb. download available here.
- Brian's Man Cave Youtube channel plays Princess Quest for Intellivision!
- I bite the bullet and published two of my scifi novels in Spanish: Tormenta de Fuego (Earth is under attack of alien firestorms and only a novice soldier can save humankind!), and Proyecto Eternidad (hibernation modules orbiting the Earth for guarding it are called into action for fighting an ominous menace).
- Now you can buy Aardvark for Intellivision from my digital store!
- Eric Davisson (@xlogicx) gave a talk at HOPE Conf 2020 about BootGenie, a program for cheating in boot sector games! You can see the whole talk at HOPE 2020 archive (Jul/25/2020 17:00 bootGenie), including a special appearance by myself ;).
- Proud to say that most of my code at my Github has been choosen for the Artic Code Vault.
- electricadventures has choosen Mecha-9 as one of the ten best Colecovision games :).
- My emulator CoolCV updated to v0.6.8, including support for random number generation (Word Feud), paused window doesn't show trash, pause shows a message, Mecha-9 added to game collection, includes libsdl for Mac OS X, and allows to reverse joystick direction interpretation.
- One of my readers uploaded videos of Circles.asm and Fbird.asm, typed from my book Programming Boot Sector Games.
- IntyBASIC updated to include SCREEN DISABLE and SCREEN ENABLE, probably the last Intellivision hardware feature not handled.
- IntyBASIC Showcase vol. 2 is now available for sale as ROM file at my digital store.
- Follow the Lights is a new boot sector game in x86 assembler code developed by myself and available at Github.
- Metal Jesus plays Aardvark in an unboxing video (time 18:46).
- My book Programming Boot Sector Games is now available as eBook at my digital store.
- Aug 28/29: I had a stand at the Engineering Faculty of UNAM and exposed my work in retrogaming, also gave a talk about boot sector game programming.
- I've developed bootOS, an operating system in 512 bytes of x86 machine code (one boot sector). It provides a shell, filesystem services, and runs all of my previous boot sector programs! Proudly featured for a few hours in Github Trending! 800 starrings, and 37 forks!
- You can now get my book Programming Boot Sector Games soft cover, or also a hard cover edition. Covering in detail all of my boot sector games, the new bootBASIC, and including a crash course on 8086/8088 assembler programming! With foreword by Peter Ferrie, distinguished engineer at Symantec Corp.
- I went through my collection to create my new book: ColecoVision Games Guide in black&white or the color edition. You need this guide if you are a ColecoVision fan! With foreword by Jennell Jaquays, Coleco's director of game design (1980-1985).
- I've developed bootBASIC. It is an integer BASIC language interpreter in 512 bytes of x86 machine code (boot sector). bootBASIC got a mention at Hackaday news!
- Play Invaders and other of my games online (v86 emulator).
- I've helped to edit the Diccionario del Zapoteco Istmeño by Oscar Toledo Esteva.
- Pillman news in a Russian site, and also on an Italian site, and also on a Brazilian site!
- I made a Pacman-like game in only 512 bytes of x86 code, it fits a standard boot sector for a PC computer, and it can work with a original IBM PC from 1981! Source code and binary available at https://github.com/nanochess/Pillman.
- Stay tuned for my upcoming 8088 programming book ;)
- IntyBASIC v1.4.0 has been released, a great tool for programming Intellivision games now with many new features. Most prominently: detection of control flow errors, local labels, simplified name mangling for assembler, 8-channels tracker, ECS detection and compatibility with Tutorvision consoles.
- Mecha-9 ROM for Colecovision is now freely available, download at Atariage
- Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death development has been completed, you can see a video of Caverns of Death in action.
- I'm going to give a conference about game development for Intellivision at the Engineering Faculty of the UNAM in
Aug/31/2018 12pm, hosted by SODVI. Free admission.
- My new books El Gran Libro de Historias Mini, volumes 1, 2 y 3, now available from Lulu.com (Spanish)
- My new game
Meteors for Intellivision is now shipping!
- I've developed Hover Bovver for Intellivision, the classic
game by Jeff Minter is now available in CIB form from Naber Hood Games.
- Now you can buy the ROM for Mecha-9 from my online store.
- The IntyBASIC 2018 Programming Contest is closing in Aug/01/2018 00:00 UTC, 5 amazing entries so far!
- The mystery of Monkey Moon, Space Raider and Bouncy Cube, can you discover what these 3 games have in common? ;)
- My tool pretty6502 now can beautify also Z80 assembler code with
tniASM directives, CP1610 assembler code with as1600 directives and TMS9900 assembler code with xas99 directives.
- Made a port of Cannonball to TI-99/4A BASIC for the
- I've released some "trash" from my archives just because it's interesting, my
6502 to IntyBASIC converter.
- I needed a wireframe sphere as animated GIF but I could find
- The sphere was required for my new game Meteor Storm,
an Intellivision pseudo-3D space game with meteors and aliens,
to be included in the compilation of games IntyBASIC Showcase Vol.2 to be published by
- Astro Cube is a game I've wrote for the TI-99/4A computer,
just for learning the TMS9900 Assembler Code and of course for the
4K Short'n'Sweet Game Contest
being run at Atariage.
- I'm still working in Aardvark for Atari VCS/2600, in this video I show the
stable integration of the core game with the new display kernel contributed by Thomas Jentzsch, besides a new title
screen and several new features.
- Released the source code of Space Raid for Atari VCS/2600,
all comments in Spanish because that way was wrote. ;)
- My utiliy PSG2BAS converts sound logs from my CoolCV emulator
into data that can be played with IntyBASIC.
- The IntyBASIC 2018 programming contest has started, you've 6 months to develop something amazing and get an awesome prize like the publication of your game in cartridge. ;)
- I've ported a mini-RPG/Rogue-like to Intellivision, Grail of the Gods, you can follow its progress from text-only to graphics+music+sound. Includes source code.
- I've been interviewed by Mario Carballo @afk_mcz for the podcast Detras del Pixel episode 13: nanochess (Spanish audio).
- Now 9 years have lapsed since I started with this site. Thanks everyone for your visit! :)
- I gave a talk at the ESIME (Superior School of Engineering, Mechanics and Electricity) in Nov 15, 2017 about the structure of videogames.
- I've completed the implementation of the 11 new levels of Miner 2049er for Intellivision, it was a pleasure to work with the designer Curtis Mikolyski, who created the levels for the original game in 1984.
- My CoolCV emulator for Colecovision
now updated to version 0.6.6, allows to take memory snapshots and log PSG registers. Also includes my game Mecha-8, and also courtesy of Team Pixelboy includes Module Man and Quest for the Golden Chalice.
- I've made a nice demo of Meteors game for Intellivision, you can download the game ROM at the video description.
- IntyBASIC now updated to the version 1.2.9 with several bugs solved, added VOICE.PLAYING and VOICE.AVAILABLE, also big enhancements to the graphics converter IntyColor.
- Happy holidays! :)
- F-Bird it's a clone of Flappy
Bird in text mode that fits in a boot sector. ;)
my game in development for Atari VCS, now works with Atari Flashback Portable,
also Atomchess 6502
and Space Raid run unmodified.
- CoolCV v0.6.5
supports joysticks configuration, shortcuts for full screen, enhancement of
VDP emulation and undocumented modes, and better execution time calculation
for some Z80 instructions.
- Sydney Hunter and the
Sacred Tribe for Colecovision and MSX is now finished and should be
available later in 2017.
- I made an entry for the JS1k 2017 (Magic), it's called
Diva's Magic Dream (source code) and
you can play it at JS1K. Let us cross
the fingers for a place in the top ten ;)
- And this site now has 8 years online!!! thanks for your visit :)
- Toledo Atomchess 6502, port of my
acclaimed Atomchess game to the 6502 processor for
use with Atari VCS/2600, self-contained in only 1K of ROM!
- Oh! Mummy
now exists for Intellivision, my little homage to the Amstrad's classic game,
of course it's written in IntyBASIC ;)
- The update of this site has been greatly delayed because urgent health
problems of my pregnant wife, also the bills of health care put me in a
difficult position where my friends have helped me.
My wife and I appreciate from our hearts the prayers of everyone and are
deeply grateful for all the help received. Our daughter baby was born May/06
and after more than 50 days figthing in hospital she came out and she is doing
well, now my wife is under chemoteraphy and we are trusting in God and friends
that everything will be right.
- Starting by Luc Miron (Pixelboy) who started
a budget games initiative,
where I've ported 8 games from Colecovision to MSX, the source code was
generously provided to me by David Fernandez (Imanok), Jose Luis Tur (jltursan)
and Arturo Ragozini (artrag). Other friends are also helping, including
Armando Pérez Abad, Juan Luis Martinez, Daniel Vik and Antonio Burguera.
- Artemio Urbina and Rolando Cedillo from the classic community in Mexico
also have helped me in several ways.
(Asociación de Usuarios de Informática Clásica) also sent me help from
- The recent 49th RUMSX in Barcelona, Spain, the AAMSX in colaboration with
Matra also helped us.
recount of donations
- Don Switzer (tarzilla) and Gary Magnan (freewheel) also started a
game cartridge project for Intellivision
to help us. They have been interviewed about it in the
- Many people around the world have sent also help and support messages.
- IntyBASIC v1.2.6, the star development
software for Intellivision, corrects several small bugs and adds DATA
- Great longplay of
Princess Quest for Colecovision, and another one
- Tableau Chess
is a chess program using the engine of
- Tony Cruise playing Mecha-9 for MSX.
- The Intellivision emulator jzintv
now supports recording videos in AVI/ZMBV thanks to code from CoolCV that I've
shared with Joe Zbiciak.
- The ROM file for my highly-acclaimed Princess Quest
game for MSX is now available. Enjoy it!
- Mecha-9 is now in heavy beta testing for MSX
and Colecovision, it should be available by December 2015 ;)
- My Colecovision emulator, CoolCV v0.5.1
now runs in Raspberry PI, and supports the two Colecovision controllers, higher
audio volume and Coleco ADAM support. The Mac version also now records audio
and saves screenshots.
- IntyBASIC goes to v1.2.3, with support for
saving in JLP-Flash, new SIGNED statement, SPRITE expr, SCREEN copy for big
maps, and new samples and contributions.
- Toledo Atomchess had a bug that I've solved,
and I've decided to develop Toledo Atomchess Reloaded with valid movement
detection, castling, en passant and promotion (only to queen) in only 831
- I wrote IntyLander,
a lunar lander game for Intellivision, it includes multiple levels, random
landing locations and aliens.
- Also I've wrote IntyPak
for Intellivision, eat pills in a labyrinth chased by ghosts.
- Tony Cruise reviews the M letter of his MSX collection and decides that
Mecha-8 is the best
game (at minute 8).
- My movie reviews
Mad Max: Fury Road,
San Andreas and
Spy (all in Spanish).
- Princess Quest for Intellivision is now
available for ordering,
get your copy before it's too late! :)
- Space Raid for Intellivision is now sold out,
last few copies are available from Good Deal Games.
Still remaining some copies of the Atari edition.
- I've ported Zombie Near and
Mecha-8 to run in Spectravideo SV-318, more news soon :)
- 6th anniversary of this site, thanks everyone!
- Visit my new creation Toledo Atomchess, a
tiny-sized limited chess program in only 481 bytes of x86 assembly code.
- IntyBASIC updated to v1.0.1 with many optimizations
and including contributed games Apple Catcher and Clowns&Ballons.
- My Christmas gift for you, the ROM of
Princess Quest for Colecovision is now
- From Ecuador, Rubén Darío Jaramillo contributed a fork of
(Fischer Random) and also a variation with 200 famous positions.
- Space Raid for Intellivision is sold out and a new batch is in its way, still available some Atari copies, get yours! :)
- Now available IntyBASIC v1.0
with support for decimal visualization, Intellivoice and many enhancements.
- Happy holidays!
- The first batch of Mecha-8 for Colecovision
is near to sold out, less than 10 remain ;)
- I'm developing a version of Space Raid for
Intellivision. It will be available solely in cartridge from
- First look at the
artwork of Mecha
Eight box for Colecovision. The game will come in transparent blue cartridges :)
- Check Chesslings
by Marcelo Ricardo de Oliveira, a chess game with animated figures using
chessboard using keyboard.
- Mecha Eight will be available for
Colecovision! Team Pixelboy is
getting on charge of publishing it. The 128K Megacart will be available in
- Princess Quest for Colecovision started
shipping in past Christmas, 256K Megacarts! First batch sold out and another
will be available soon. Cartridge reservations at
Team Pixelboy's page.
- Mecha Eight for MSX started shipping
in Dec/20/2012. You can obtain it from
- Zombie Near for
Colecovision started shipping in early Dec/2012. You can get your cartridge
from Collectorvision's site.
- And every cartridge packed in beautiful boxes with awesome graphical
designs and detailed manuals :)
glance at artwork of Princess
Quest's box for Colecovision. Check it! :)
- The IOCCC started its 21th contest, a
great opportunity for C programmers around the world to show its expertise.
I've decided to not participate as already I've won five times. It's time to
leave space for other contestants ;)
- I've translated my game Princess Quest to
Colecovision consoles and it will be published by
Team Pixelboy. The greatest capacity
cartridge ever made for Colecovision, using 256K of ROM. Contact now Team
Pixelboy to get into the list for your limited edition collector's
- Recently I've received my Princess Quest
cartridge from Matra, excellent
design and quality packaging for this epic smooth pixel-scrolling game. ;)
- My new game Mecha Eight competed at
MSXdev'11 with excellent public
acclaim, reaching fifth place over nine contestants. Fight for the freedom of a
planet commanding Mecha-8 against aliens.
- A new year, a new project! :). My new game
Princess Quest was sold at the
Nijmegen MSX Fair at the
Netherlands, and you can order the cartridge right now from
Bitwise. A medieval knight fighting
hordes of monsters to rescue a princess!.
- I'm very pleased to announce that
I've won for the fifth
time the IOCCC :), with a
3D Tanks game for two-players runnable in X/Window.
Source code available soon.
- A little reorganization of this site: now everything of
chess in its own section and I've expanded the
- And this way I came to the third anniversary of this site!, thanks you very
much for your visit.
- Recently the IOCCC has published the
winners' files of the 19th contest (with judges' comments) and the
all-years winners list has been
- Happy holidays!.
- I've translated my game "Zombie Near" to
Colecovision consoles, preorder now your cartridge from
Collectorvision and choose from
two gorgeous box designs, hurry up because there will be only a limited
quantity of cartridges.
- Andrés Moreno from Spain has done several modifications to my
authorization he published them at
1kchess.com, enjoy it!
- Toledo Nanochess strived at the Promo
category of the XVII edition of
ChessWar ran by Olivier Deville, it obtained place 127 of 200 with 5
points of 11 possible, an excellent result for a program whose source code
barely fills half of a paper sheet. :)
- An enhanced version of "Zombie Near" was
sold at the 39nd MSX user's meeting at
Barcelona, Spain, this brand new cartridge for MSX computers can be ordered
from Matra or
- Phil Mainwaring from Wales, United Kingdom kindly shares his own version of
external files and sizes up to only 2235 bytes, download at forks section of
- Second anniversary of this site!, thanks you very much for your visit.
- I've contributed the Spanish traslation for
a popular interface for chess engines, with it you can play
Toledo Nanochess WinBoard.
- I've wrote a Tiny Chess for the
JS1K contest, the world's first chess
it will validate moves, queen-only promotion, without castling and en
- The war of 1K chess programs,
check this interesting Matt Round's
with more variety and illuminates last piece moved.
- I've participated in Mexico Radio 106.1
FM Alterna at Cuernavaca, Morelos, in
"Planeta Digital" Aug/04 program
(audio in Spanish), interviewed by
Antulio Sánchez, I speak about the
Internet browser and operating system developed by
Familia Toledo organization,
also speaks my father and my sister.
with Unicode graphics and improved visualization for popular browsers.
- Inspired by Toledo Nanochess, the Mathematician
John A. Moody from the Warwick University at United Kingdom wrote his own
in 2.7 kilobytes, currently doesn't detect illegal moves and
doesn't handle castling nor en passant.
- First anniversary of this site!. Thanks for your visit!.
- New Toledo Java Chess, the current world's
smallest chess program written in Java language!.
- The WinBoard version of Toledo Nanochess has
been updated to solve a bug in time control.
- Added to the FAQ instructions for modification
of Toledo Nanochess WinBoard to work with XBoard
under *NIX/Mac OS X.
- Toledo Nanochess had a mention in the article
Full ZX-81 Chess
in 1K of the
Plastik Media blog (in Hungarian), the picture
remembers me that I've one TS1000 (the North American version of the ZX81)
somewhere but not under the door. :)
- More chess links.
- Six months of updates moved to the archive.
- Toledo Nanochess now sizes up at 1257
non-blank characters, one character smaller!, also was updated
- The Australian website
www.rooloose.com published with my
integrated graphics, looks nice :)
- Happy holidays!.
- Now included the two previous revisions of Toledo
Chess 1 along with a brief history and some curious facts.
- Toledo Nanochess now is twelve characters
smaller and 50% faster.
- The Winboard version now allows time control, so its strength is
- The FAQ was updated.
- Toledo Nanochess battled at Olivier Deville's
ChessWar XIV tournament,
Promo category. The result was 5.0 points of 11 possible, standing up at
position 129, ahead of 83 competitors. Also it obtained a score of 1423 ELO
points, a good result for a program so small.
- More chess links.
- Toledo Nanochess now is one character smaller
and 40% faster.
- Check out the new version with integrated Winboard interface, in only
- More links.
Last modified: Dec/29/2021